How to Slim Down During Vacation!
You might be skeptical reading this title and think, “How to slim down…while on vacation?! Not possible!”
I know, it seems crazy—but it’s actually quite possible! Vacation is the time to have a break from everyday life, to give your body and mind a time for joy and relaxation—and weight loss can absolutely fit into that equation.
It’s true that people tend to gain weight while on vacation as they indulge in richer foods and overeat to their heart’s content. But why can’t it also be a time to treat your body well?
Want to know how you can do that? Check out these three CRUCIAL tips:
Don’t Be There for Just the Food
Ask yourself these questions:
- Who are you on vacation with?
- What do you want to get out of your vacation?
- What activities are you doing?
- In what other ways, besides eating, are you relaxing and unwinding?
This is not to say that you shouldn’t enjoy what you’re eating while on vacation. Being a mindful eater is important here, and that means appreciating and enjoying your food.
But it also means listening to your body, avoiding mindless snacking that will just make you feel bloated and overly full, and focusing on non-food things while you’re away.
Think about it this way too: traditional vacation foods are high in processed carbs, sugar, and unhealthy fats. Pay attention to how these foods make you feel. More than likely, you’ll notice a rise in blood sugar and crash later, leaving you feeling lethargic, low-energy, and prone to crankiness and mood swings.
That’s not necessarily the best way to spend your whole vacation, or to give the best of yourself to those you’re enjoying it with.
Like I said: don’t be hard on yourself about eating richer foods—that will only lead to self-sabotage and possibly binge eating. Instead, focus on how the foods you eat taste, smell, and make you feel. Make a decision to eat mostly foods that make you—and your body—feel good.
For example, eat fruit whenever you can. It’s super sweet—and especially good if you’re on a tropical vacation—plus, it will help keep you hydrated and give your body many healthy vitamins.
(Also, don’t forget to bring along your high-quality supplements like Mimi’s Omegas for your healthy fats and Mimi’s Miracle Minerals for 70+ trace minerals that your body craves!)
Disclosure: Note that this website makes a small commission for purchases made through many of the links on the site. All products are carefully vetted for price and value for our customers.
And when you do have something sweet and indulgent, follow it up with a meal that is balanced and full of veggies, complex carbs, and protein as much as possible. This prevents your blood sugar from going crazy and makes you feel more stabilized.
Bring Your Own Food
No, I’m not saying you need to bring your entire fridge. Just stock your bag or suitcase with some healthy snacks so you aren’t left super hungry and prone to eating anything in sight. Here are some ideas:
- Fresh fruit like apples, oranges, and bananas (these travel really well)
- Cut up veggies like carrot or celery sticks
- unsalted nuts like almonds, cashews, or walnuts—or a nut mix!
- healthy protein bars or nutrition bars
- low-fat jerky (or if you’re going meatless, this vegan jerky is a good option)
Fit in Movement
Before you call me crazy for telling you to workout on vacation, hear me out!
Adding some movement into your vacation that gets your heart rate up with actually help you enjoy your trip more. It will make you feel more alive:
Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel good, and it can also give you energy if you’re feeling a little sluggish from eating certain foods. Plus, it keeps your muscles strong and toned, which is appreciated if you’re taking a vacation that involves shorts, tank tops, and bikinis.
And it doesn’t have to be anything super intense or stressful. Try these:
- Ask someone if they’ll go for a power walk with you in the morning or do some laps at the pool before relaxing there.
- If you’re near a beach, go enjoy the amazing view with a little walking or running!
- If you have a gym around (almost every hotel does now), do a little weight lifting for 20-30 minutes before getting back to your paperback.
- Or, if the gym has treadmills with TVs, continue watching your favorite TV show while walking or jogging there for a bit.
- You can even do some yoga or a short DVD workout in your hotel room!
OR, if you’ve planned a vacation that already involves lots of walking during the day, you have your movement cut out for you!
Don’t Stress About It
Research is showing now that stressing about trying to diet or eating “bad” foods can actually have a negative effect on your health and weight. So keep these tips in mind, but don’t stress. Let yourself enjoy your vacation, and consider this “how to slim down” as an additional way of treating yourself right while you’re away.
Looking for more advice about how to slim down naturally? Check out these health tips.